September 21st marks the U.N.’s official International Day of Peace. It’s a day for everyone to share in the ideals and conditions for peace and engage in peace-related activities with hundreds of millions of people across the globe, whether in spirit or action.
“Engaging in Peace Day can take place privately, as part of a group and/or as a participant in an event or program.” Whatever you can do to spread, encourage, or act in peace makes a difference.
Here are five ways for you to participate on peace day:
- Join people across the world in a minute of silence at noon (local time), for a moment of peace.
- Participate in the Global Feast for Peace. Whether with a group of friends, your family, the whole neighbourhood, or community—come together in unity and for a feast. Wherever you are at your own dining room table or a block party full of people, this can be a space to include interfaith and intercultural dialogue.
- If you’ve got creative inclinations, try your hand at a peace poem, a peace painting, or any form of art that speaks to you and make it shine with good vibes.
- Spend time in thoughtful meditation.
- Participate in yoga, either on your own (YouTube is great for at-home yoga) or by heading out to a class.
For more information and ways to get involved, check out the peace day website here.