We’ve all had those doubt-filled moments where it feels like we’re utterly beyond redemption. Those times when it’s hard to remember our own good qualities—whether because of low self-esteem, family issues, school issues, or any number of occurrences in life when our outlook takes on a melancholy vibe.
But those rough times are not an indication of our perceived weaknesses or downfalls, they’re a chance to show ourselves love and compassion. A change in perspective can make all the difference, so here are nine powerful quotes to keep handy whenever you need a pick-me-up. Remember: you are wonderful, you are needed, and you are capable of creating great change.
1. “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.” — Hafiz
2. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.” — Rumi
3. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?…Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do….It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” — Marianne Williamson
4. “I want better than this. I side with hope.” — Deepak Chopra
5. “You are not weak just because your heart feels so heavy.” — Andrea Gibson
6. “We can breathe deeply today and notice that there is no scent of yesterday. In this moment, there is nothing but newness, a white space, nothing but an open field of possibility ready to be felt and explored. Let us meet it with an intention and skill in exploring it lovingly, slowly.” — Brendon Burchard
7. “I come from greatness. I attract greatness. I am greatness.” — Wayne Dyer
8. “There’s little we could ever achieve, in ten thousand lifetimes, that compares to the simple fact that right now we “are.” Right now we are alive in time and space. Right now we are free to think as we please. Right now it’s our turn in the sun.” — Mike Dooley
9. “She was unstoppable. Not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them.” — Beau Taplin