Over the last few years, many people have become more conscious of the food they eat and the beauty products they consume. This newly found awareness has been translated to makeup, too. Nowadays, some makeup brands advertise themselves as natural, organic, even vegan. There’s just so much in the market that it’s sometimes hard to spot the non toxic ones. Here’s everything you need to know on the subject:
What is non toxic makeup?
The name may sound self-explanatory, but non toxic makeup is more than “free of chemicals”. Companies have worked hard to come up with alternatives to the old animal-based products. Regular makeup is made mostly with animal fat and petroleum derivatives. For years, it was believed that plant-based products were not as bright and lasting as the regular ones. Fortunately, there have been many advances in the cosmetic industry and they are as good as their competitors.
For a product to be non toxic it needs to be made of natural ingredients. Therefore, they cannot contain any animal byproducts or chemicals. This means they are not only good for your health, but also for taking care of the environment. According to ABOUTWOMEN.CA, organic products have to be made of at least 95% natural ingredients with up to 5% of synthetic ones. Therefore, they bring about many health benefits.
Benefits of changing to organic makeup
As it is made out of natural ingredients, organic makeup is much more beneficial for your health than the regular products. Natural products don’t have heavy metals, which are usually present in many beauty products. According to recent studies, these chemicals build up on your body posing a risk to your health. In addition, natural makeup is hypoallergenic, that is, it produces less negative reactions or allergies to sensitive skins. They have no parabens or synthetic aromas that can irritate your skin.
Moreover, non toxic makeup does not contain petroleum-derived ingredients. This is great for your skin as it can breathe properly so there is no rash or acne. It is great for people who suffer any hormonal disorder and cannot use regular cosmetic products. Plus, if you care about the environment, the impact of these natural products is minimum. No animal farming is needed and many of them use recycled products for their packaging.
Some of the best products on the market
We have scanned through thousands of new organic products on the market and created this list with the best of them all:
- Setting powder Buttercup by Sasha cosmetics: a powder that has a powerful oil absorbing effect and takes away the unwanted shine and, at the same time, takes care of your skin.
- Eyeshadow by Lamora: this product is 100% vegan and cruelty free. Plus, it comes in a range of 16 vibrant colours.
- Mascara by Simply naked beauty: a mascara that is not only long-lasting, but it also prevents smudge form forming. Its natural tea fibers present in the serum make your eyelashes grow.
- Blush by Burt’s bees: perhaps the most lightweight blush, this product comes in all skin tones varieties and it is 100% natural. Its bamboo, vitamin E, and honey composition make it great for your skin.
- Glossy lipstick by Burt’s bees: this 100% natural lipstick contains Moringa oil. raspberry oil and Meadowfoam seed oil. These natural components hydrate your lips and make them look softer.
- Waterproof foundation by Sweet LeiLani: this vegan, paraben and cruelty free product is the best treatment for your skin. It can conceal dark spots, acne and even tattoos. Plus, it is anti inflammatory. The vegetal enzymes on it protect and revitalize your skin.
- Concealer by Skin by Pom: its thyme essential oils make it the best concealer ever as it lasts for at least 4 hours.
- Cream eyeliner by Sheer Blends: this eyeliner is creamy and all natural, containing aloe vera, jojoba and coconut oil and vitamin E.
- Setting spray by ArtNaturals: this spray is great for fixating your makeup so that it does not fade, crack or melt. It lasts for at least 24 hours and keeps your skin healthy.
- Macara by 100% pure: the best fruit-pigmented mascara in the market is not only 100% organic, but it its packaging is made of recycled materials, too.
Certainly, natural cosmetic products are here to stay. There’s no point on buying the regular toxic ones when you can have a better and healthier product with the same results. You can get the same professional look by using plant-based makeup and, at the same time, take care of your body and the environment. So, what are you waiting for?