Virtual private networks (VPNs) are the most in-demand online privacy tools that offer an additional layer of security and privacy on the internet.
Whether you want to escape the prying eyes of your ISP or other third parties in the Canada, a VPN can offer the best solution.
As we all know, Canada has recently passed a proposal for approving regulations and censorship in Canada like the Online Harms White Paper. If this legislation gets approved, it may restrict free speech.
How VPNs Secure Your Internet Connection?
1. Data Encryption
In a nutshell, a Canadian VPN service helps in securing your internet connection, passing all your traffic through an encrypted VPN tunnel and by rerouting your traffic through a server. This way no one can track your online activities, offering privacy.
VPNs also secure your data with encryption making it unreadable to third parties. Even if someone does intercept your data, they will not be able to decrypt it, and it will look like gibberish to them. This way, a VPN also hides your internet traffic even from your internet service provider (ISP).
There are plenty of VPNs out there that you can use to secure your internet connection in Canada.
2. Mask IP Address
When you connect to a VPN server, it assigns you a different IP address. This IP address is shared by multiple users on the same server, so it’s almost impossible to trace back the traffic to a single user.
IP addresses are important because anyone can trace you online using your IP address. Each IP address is unique, and it contains information regarding your general location as well.
Using a VPN masks your real IP address and gives you a new one that is not tied to your device. This way, no one can track your online activities.
How to Set Up a VPN on Devices in the Canada to secure Internet Connection?
If you have selected a VPN and subscribed to it, you can follow the steps mentioned below to set up a VPN on your device to secure your internet connection.
Setting Up a VPN on Windows 10
- Click on Windows icon > Settings > Network & Internet > VPN.
- Click ‘Add a VPN Connection’ and fill out the details.
- Enter the name of your VPN, server address, VPN type and type of sign-in info you want.
- After adding all the information, click Save.
- To connect to the VPN, go back to Settings > Network & Internet > VPN.
- Click on your VPN name.
- Select Connect and enter your password.
Setting Up a VPN on macOS
- Head to System Preferences > Network.
- Click the Plus button on the bottom left corner. From the drop-down menu, choose your VPN type and service name.
- Click the Create button and fill in the details regarding the server address, remote ID, local ID. Click on Authentication Settings.
- Enter your username and password that you can find on your VPN website.
- Click OK and Connect.
Setting Up a VPN on Android
- Head over to Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced > VPN, click on the Add button.
- Now create a VPN profile (add VPN name, server address) > Click Save.
- You will be taken back to the VPN screen > Tap on your VPN name > enter login details.
- Enter VPN name, type, server address, passwords, and other information.
- Click Save, and you are good to go.
Setting Up a VPN on iOS.
- Head over to Settings > General > scroll down to VPN
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration and then select the security protocol (according to your VPN provider).
- Go back to the VPN configuration screen and add your VPNs description like server address, remote ID, and more.
- Enter your username and password.
- Tap Done, and you will be back to the VPN screen where you can toggle the Status on.
Picking a VPN to secure your internet connection: What to look for?
Not all VPNs work in the Canada, so when you are picking a VPN to secure your internet connection, make sure to look for the following key features:
- Device compatibility: Make sure the VPN you choose is compatible with a wide range of operating systems and devices. Get a VPN that will work with your desktop, laptop, smartphone, Smart TV, and home router.
- Server locations: The VPN you choose should offer plenty of servers in different locations so you can get an IP address from any country you want. This is important if you want to access geo-blocked websites in Canada.
- VPN encryption: Make sure the VPN you choose for your internet uses 256-bit AES encryption for data protection. It is the best in the industry right now and is super secure.
- VPN security protocols: Make sure the VPN offers different security protocols that you can choose from. For example, it should offer OpenVPN, PPTP, IKEv2, IPSec, and more.
It is best that you choose a VPN that offers a kill switch feature in case your VPN connection drops. Also, there should be IP leak protection as well to make sure your IP address never leaks when you are using the internet in Canada.