Sometimes, being in the kitchen all day cooking breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks can be overwhelming. The only solution you can picture is to buy ready-prepared meals or takeaway foods. However, this surely will not be good for your budget or health.
Another unreal answer would be to have a magic wand and just use it at meal time. Just imagine, thinking of a specific dish, wave your wand and have it ready on your table. Sadly, that’s not possible.
Stop wandering around, and find an effective solution to this time consuming issue. When your daily schedule leaves you with a short time for cooking, it is time to take advantage of all you have on hand like your kitchen gadgets and useful recipes.
Use your existing cooking gear wisely
You already have in your house all you need for making the most of your time while cooking. You only need to learn how to use your kitchen utensils with the proper ingredients and the right cooking technique.
One of the underused kitchen appliances is the microwave oven. This wonderful device has more functions than just reheating your leftovers. You can cook delicious meals on it.
A microwave oven uses high-frequency electromagnetic waves to generate heat. These waves increase the temperature of the food when they are absorbed by water, sugar, and fat molecules of the food and vibrate. This vibration generates enough heat to cook them from the inside out. Elements with little liquid content, such as plastic, ceramic or glass have no free molecules to vibrate, so they do not heat up. Actually when you take out a container and it feels warm, that is because the food has transferred some heat to it.
This process only takes a few minutes resulting in the best way you have in your kitchen for saving time while cooking any of your meals.
But, don’t run to place all your food in the microwave oven. To use it wisely, some ingredients and recipes are perfect to cook in this appliance.
Benefits of cooking in a microwave oven
Besides reheating your meals, your microwave oven is useful for making delicious dishes. By using it, you can get several benefits including:
- Cooking all your meals in less time.
- Saving energy thanks to its low power consumption.
- No meals burnt, since you can set the exact time for each food.
- You can take advantage of all nutrients in foods since this way of cooking retains all ingredients’ nutritional value.
Learning how to use a microwave oven
In a microwave oven, you can prepare nutritious breakfasts, flavoursome lunches, light dinners, and even unique desserts. Take a look at these ideas:
- Macaroni and cheese.
- Omelette in a mug.
- Risotto primavera.
- Baked potato.
- Egg fried rice.
- Lemon pudding.
If you want to know more, check the following link for getting more ideas https://minuterice.com/recipes/microwave-egg-fried-rice/
Cooking in a microwave is super easy. It only needs to follow the next tips and get the most of this handy appliance:
- Cut ingredients into small portions.
- Use a microwave-safe dish, plate, tray or bowl.
- Place the ingredients evenly in the microwave-safe dish.
- Cover food with a damp towel or a paper towel.
- If the microwave is large enough, locate the bowl off-centre on the tray, this will improve the heating process as it turns.
- Stir food regularly for uniform heat distribution, particularly when food takes a longer time.
- When food is ready, let it rest for a while before serving.
Preparing a delicious meal in a matter of minutes
Now that you are ready to use your microwave oven, let’s make a complete preparation.
Egg fried rice
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 cup of rice.
- 2 cups of water.
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- 4 chopped strips of bacon.
- ½ cup of green peas.
- ½ cup of finely chopped carrots.
- ½ cup of chopped bell peppers.
- 2 eggs.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fresh scallion for garnish.
- In a microwave-safe container, add water, rice, sesame oil, soy sauce and bacon. Combine all ingredients. Then cover the bowl.
- Set the microwave timer to 8 minutes and cook.
- When time is up, incorporate peas, carrots, and bell peppers. Stir very well, and cook for 2 extra minutes. Take out of the microwave and reserve.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, pour sesame oil, add the eggs and beat them. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook them for 2 minutes. Take out the eggs from the microwave, and break them up into small bites.
- Combine eggs with rice.
- Serve with fresh scallion on the top.