Being an adult can be scary. Adulthood means responsibility, maturity and bills, bills, bills. It means settling down and having to actually think about important (i.e. boring) things like mortgages and a 401K. BUT the good news is that when you’re in your 20s, none of this exists. While yes, you’ll be starting off your career and moving on to more steady chapters of your life, you are still young enough to make mistakes and get away with it. These are the years to be silly and have fun. Remember being young and wishing you were older? So you could drive on your own and go dancing in nightclubs? Well, when you’re older and more mature, you’ll be wishing you were younger. If I had a nickel every time someone older told me that they wish they were my age again, I would be a very rich woman. Here are some reasons why your 20s are truly some of the best years of your life.
- The night scene. Just this point alone should validate how much fun your twenties are. When you’re 20 and club hopping every weekend, grabbing food from the hot dog stand on your way home… life is blissful.
- Your career is just starting. There’s something oddly reassuring about being in a job and knowing that this isn’t the last job you’ll ever have. This casual approach to working for a living relieves the pressure of hustling at too young of an age. If you’re at a job that you’re not totally in love with, no worries, you can get out of it and into one you’re completely into. When you’re a parent and have children to provide for, these options become really slim really fast. When you’re in your twenties, you have the freedom to pick and choose what kind of career you want.
- When you’re past your clique-filled high school and wild university days, you have much more time to spend some “me” time. Being alone with your own thoughts can be extremely refreshing. Being twenty allows you to put yourself in first priority – and by doing this, you really get in-tune with yourself, which is what we’re all trying to do on this big planet earth!
- Meeting new people completely different from you. We all have our childhood friends that we’ve known forever and our party friends from university, but in your 20s you get to meet people who you probably would never cross paths with otherwise. People in their twenties tend to be much more comfortable with themselves versus them through their awkward teen phase, so making new friends is often a daily thing in your twenties.
- Growing up, surely but slowly. Your twenties is a time to explore, experiment and get to know yourself even more. When you join the workforce, it’s a completely different setting and a new experience you’ve never gone through before. Not only is this totally exciting, it opens the door to the first few stages of adulthood. However, even though you get a taste of being a true adult in your twenties, you still have that fun-loving spirit of yours. In this case, it’s best to take the maturity of being an adult and mix it with your party-loving self to create pure happiness.
- Making your own money. And we’re not talking about having a part time job at Aritzia; we’re talking about a full blown 9-5 job allowing you to splurge on those Louboutins last weekend. There’s nothing more satisfying than being able to take your parents out for dinner and you picking up the cheque. Another round of desserts, anyone?