Sustainable living is a way of life that aims to limit individual and societal use of the Earth’s natural resources. Sustainability refers to balancing human needs with what the environment can offer and ensuring that natural resources will be available in the future.
Therefore, it’s crucial to recognize environmental awareness related to our existence, not just what we eat or wear. And daily routines and household maintenance are the easiest way to start on the road to sustainability. 2023 is a great year to redefine yourself, and that can absolutely be reflected in your everyday life.
Here are a few tips for a sustainable approach in everyday life:
- Reuse and recreate objects and furniture – use your imagination and time, find inspiration on Pinterest, and find a new purpose and use value for old things, which will contribute to the uniqueness of your space.
- Shop local and support small businesses while reducing the energy used in transportation.
- Donate what you don’t need. Many organizations deal with the collection of old clothes and furniture, and we are sure that something that no longer suits you will make everyday life significantly more manageable.
- Turn to eco-friendly products and eco-friendly services when it comes to household maintenance. Read product labels, and choose wisely cleaning services. For example, services like green cleaning in Chicago can be used for household items and laundry cleaning. They could save you time and do the work for you correctly and greenly!
- Plants: If you want to live a more sustainable lifestyle, you must embrace the “going green” philosophy and include as many plants as your home can accommodate. On your coffee table, kitchen counter, bedside table, right next to your desk, or in an empty corner. Plants are always a good idea because they can brighten up and liven up an otherwise dreary space. At the same time, they significantly improve the air quality in your home by purifying the atmosphere – even while you sleep. All you have to do is choose plants that suit your space and style, then learn how to care for them. You can use a variety of containers as pots, such as pots, but you can also use bowls, banks, or even old coffee pots.
Lighting: Lighting is an essential consideration to ensure your home uses the least amount of energy possible. Therefore, I prefer energy-saving bulbs (energy-efficient LED bulbs). Additionally, ensure that sufficient natural light enters your home. Choose lighter, sheer curtains, like those available at 3hlinen, to allow the sun’s rays to reach the interior of your home more efficiently. At the same time, avoid placing bulky furniture near or in front of windows to avoid blocking natural light from entering the space.
- Home Decoration: Ecological objects are used for decoration and everyday activities. Instead of plastic, choose items made from biodegradable, organic, and natural materials. For example, you can say “yes” to a jute rug, a bamboo toothbrush, metal straws, natural sponges, or even rattan furniture – after all, such a chair is one of the biggest trends this year. Also, use towels and bedding made of natural fibers, preferably organic. Avoid using leather by choosing vegan and animal-friendly options. Even without trying, you will be able to integrate style and sustainability.