It’s time to develop a healthy lifestyle! And a healthier you!
While it is essential that you work towards having your emotional and spiritual house in order, you also need to take care of yourself physically. If your lifestyle isn’t healthy, you won’t be at your best and it will be that much harder to achieve your goals: a healthier you!
The trick to being and looking your best is simple: love life, love yourself and practice a few basic disciplines:
1. Drink lots of water – at least 1.5 litres daily. Water keeps everything fresh and gives you energy. This is the best tip for feeling and looking your best.
2. Eat well and don’t diet – dieting creates a mentality of lack. There is no such thing as ‘going on a diet’ because you are already on one. In fact, you probably need a lot more food than you think, so eat three nutritionally balanced and healthy meals per day. Let your body tell you what it needs to give it energy. And don’t eat or drink junk food – if you can’t pronounce the ingredients on the label, stay away. Also, try not to skip meals – it plays havoc with your blood sugar levels, your emotions and your metabolism. And remember – fruit and vegetables rule.
3. Take a multivitamin supplement, especially if you are under stress, working harder than usual, traveling or your usual routine is disturbed or changing.
4. Exercise regularly – start early and stick to it. Join the gym and use it at least three times per week, or find a sport that you can do. Walk. Run. Stretch. Move. Exercise reduces stress, which profoundly affects how you look. Exercise in fresh air as much as possible for maximum oxygen benefits.
5. Protect and look after your skin – face and body – every day. Use sunscreen and moisturizers.
You can find the best health and cosmetic products that suit you at civilizedhealth.com
6. Don’t smoke – smoking affects your skin, as well as causing all kinds of other health problems.
7. Rest and recover with regular sleep. Work out how much you need in order to perform at your best. Nothing robs you of vitality and health faster than lack of sleep.
8. Avoid or limit alcohol and caffeine – they dehydrate your skin and can cause other health problems. They can also affect your personality if you indulge too much or too often. Alcohol and caffeine should be an occasional treat, not a regular part of your lifestyle. And, of course, any form of drug taking is a definite no-no. If you want to keep your lifestyle and your mind intact, stay well clear.
9. Observe cleanliness and hygiene – you need to be clean on all levels: mentally, physically and spiritually. Get into having lots of showers and baths and washing your hands frequently to cut down on germs and reduce the transmission of illnesses like colds and flu. Enjoy the sensual side of being clean; pamper yourself in your private time in the bathroom. Clean and floss your teeth at least twice a day: keep them sparkling, so you’ll want to smile at the whole world.
10. Look after your hair – have a haircut every six weeks or so. Natural is usually best: only colour your hair if you can afford to really maintain it. Don’t go for a colour that’s too radically different from your natural state: nothing looks worse than the roots growing out look. And eat well, your hair will love you for it!
11. Care for your hands – they are on display constantly. Keep them in good condition and don’t wear too much jewellery or bright polish. Understated is better. The same goes for feet, so check them out – you might get a shock!
12. Relax – meditate daily, have regular massages and practice yoga. Stress reduction is one of the greatest things you can do for your health and your looks.
This checklist for tightening up your lifestyle can be found in Anthea Paul’s, Girlosophy: A Soul Survival Kit. This must-have book will help you take charge of your destiny and your practical life by giving you the spiritual, emotional and practical means to achieve your full potential. To learn more, visit www.girlosophy.com and be sure to grab a copy at major bookstores or order it online at www.amazon.com.