Whether you grew up rooting for the wizard underdog and want to satisfy your nostalgia, or just heard about this amazing series and want to see what the fuss is about, you’re probably wondering – can you watch the whole Harry Potter series on Netflix?
Well, you can, but it’s not that simple. We’ll tell you everything you need to know in this quick article.
So Can You Watch the Harry Potter Series on Netflix?
Yes, you can. All eight movies are available on the platform. So you just need to type “Harry Potter,” and you can start watching, right?
Not so fast.
The Harry Potter series is available on Netflix, but it’s not available in all the countries where Netflix works. What’s more, some countries only get some of the movies.
Here’s the full list of Harry Potter movies, and where they’re available:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Party 1 – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 – Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico
If you want to check for yourself, use StreamCatcher. It’s an online tool from ProPrivacy that tells you what countries a Netflix title is available in.
Why Is Harry Potter Available Only in Some Countries on Netflix?
Because Netflix only bought the licensing rights for those regions. They weren’t able to get global rights because the copyright holder probably already sold the distribution rights for other countries to other TV networks and streaming sites.
So Netflix might have the right to show the first Harry Potter movie in Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, and Portugal, but it can’t legally stream it anywhere else. They might get sued by their competitors (the ones who bought rights for other countries) if they do that.
What’s more, even if the Harry Potter rights become available for your country, that doesn’t automatically mean Netflix will buy them. They use data mining first to determine whether or not there’s enough interest in those movies in your region. If there isn’t, they won’t purchase the rights.
It sounds bad, we know, but please understand that Netflix spends a lot of money on licensing content. In 2019, Netflix’s content assets were valued at around $24.5 billion. Out of that, licensed content accounted for roughly $14.7 billion. So buying licensing rights isn’t as simple as people would think it’d be. It’s an investment that takes a lot of planning and needs to have a guaranteed ROI.
How Does Netflix “Control” Your Access to Harry Potter?
It’s pretty simple – the site uses geo-blocking to redirect you to your country’s library. Here’s what happens:
- When you visit Netflix, you send connection requests to the site. Among other data, those requests contain your IP address.
- Netflix analyzes your IP address to see what your geo-location is. Don’t forget – your IP tells sites what country and city you are from.
- Based on your geo-location, Netflix routes your connection requests to the appropriate content library (so the US library for a US IP address).
Can You Unblock Harry Potter on Netflix?
Yes, it’s possible. And don’t worry – you don’t need to visit the countries where the movies are available, and binge them while you’re there.
All you have to do is use a VPN – a very simple online tool that helps you unblock geo-restricted content. It does that by routing your traffic through a VPN server that sits between you and Netflix. The site will think your connection requests are coming from the VPN server, so it will only see its IP address. Your real IP remains hidden from Netflix.
So you just need to connect to a VPN server that’s in a country where all the movies are available. And that should be very easy to do if you use a VPN with tons of servers around the world.
Now, finding a good Netflix VPN is a bit hard. The site can detect VPN IPs, and redirect them to the Netflix proxy error page.
Things get easier if you use StreamCatcher, however. It’s an online tool from ProPrivacy whose main purpose is to tell you where certain Netflix shows and movies are available. But besides that, it also recommends the best Netflix VPNs (ones that actually work).
How to Unblock Harry Potter with a VPN
It’s really simple – just follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN service.
- Download the appropriate app for your device.
- Install the app, and run it.
- Connect to a VPN server in Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, or Portugal. Those countries have all the movies.
- You’re done! Go ahead and enjoy these awesome movies as much as you want.
What’s Your Favorite Harry Potter Movie?
We really like the first two because they give us a real nostalgia trip. But we’d love to hear which ones you prefer, and why.
Also, if you know other ways to unblock Harry Potter (or any other shows and movies) on Netflix, please let us know in the comments. If you use any specific tools, don’t forget to include links!