Every now and then, we all have one of those days. Days when we wake up, look at ourselves in the mirror, and don’t like what we see.We might see the stubborn, disobedient hair that is never on fleek, or eyebrows that won’t arch to Instagram-esque perfection. We might see lips that don’t pout like Kylie Jenner’s, or nails that aren’t impeccably manicured, or a hundred other tiny imperfections. A mirror however, will never tell you the most important thing you need to know about beauty. Something the late Coco Chanel summarized quite aptly: “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” So if you’re having one of those days, here’s a little advice to help you feel beautiful, inside and out:
1. Treat yourself
Via OHMYFREAKINGGIFWhether it’s an ice cream sundae, a new book, or even something as simple as running a hot bath, find a way to give yourself a little time to unwind and indulge in some self-care.
Via chelseaceciliaNever underestimate the power of a warm, scented bath. Instant bliss!
2. Take a quiet walk with Mother NatureFind the nearest nature trail and go exploring! Take a minute to close your eyes and breathe in the fresh, cool air. You’ll be left with a clearer head and a renewed perspective.
Via: beautifulautumn.tumblr.comPlus, there’s no better time than autumn to enjoy the outdoors! I always think that if we can see the beauty in hundreds of dead, fallen leaves, then we should also see it in ourselves.
3. Spend some time with babies or animalsSometimes (no matter how hard we try) we can’t get out of our own heads, but children and animals are among the few who will never care about how we look. Do you have a baby niece? Go spend time with her! Do you live close to an animal shelter? Go volunteer, and cuddle with some cats and dogs!
4. Sweat out the small stuffTake all your negative energy and channel it into a powerful workout or run. Not only is it a great way to boost your confidence, working out will give your body a quick injection of some feel-good hormones.
5. Listen to some uplifting musicSometimes you just need to let somebody else’s words fill your mind with positivity. Good music has the incredible power to do just that. It calms the soul and soothes the mind.
Via: tumblr.comA fun, upbeat rhythm can be just the thing to put a spring in your step and a smile on your face. I recommend “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield.
6. Know that you don’t always have to be perfect.Nobody wakes up flawless. Not even Beyonce. In fact, it was Queen Bey who famously sang “perfection is a disease of a nation.” But we get it. It’s hard to always feel beautiful in a world that constantly makes you feel like you’re not.
Via: PictureQuotes.comHopefully these tips will encourage you to put yourself first, especially on the days when you feel overwhelmed with negativity. Try to remember that a happy person is a beautiful one and that true beauty is what YOU make of it. Don’t go by what society thinks is beautiful because it’s always changing its mind. As the lovely Salma Hayek once said,”People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.”